Picture
For a home seller, life is moving a mile a minute. They're concerned with keeping their house in pristine condition for last-minute showings. They're packing boxes, lining up movers, and planning for their next home. Add "prepping for a home inspection" to that list and the stress builds.

At Insight Inspections, LLC, I understand all of that and as a home inspector, it's part of my job to make the home inspection process the least disruptive as I can for home sellers. Here are a few tips for home sellers to follow that will make the home inspection process easier on everyone.

1) Access: The kitchen pantry in my own home is a prime example of a difficult-access issue. Because of the deep shelves, our pantry stores plenty of food, but it also blocks access to the attic, which a good home inspector will want to check out. In this case, clearing out the pantry of items and shelves gives clear access to the attic. A home inspector doesn't want to disturb your personal belongings so it's best if you can keep clear access to attics, crawlspaces, heating systems, garages and all other areas of the home that will be inspected. This includes closets as many attic accesses are found in closets.

2) Utilities: A house isn't always occupied at the time of the home inspection. If a home is vacant, the home buyer and/or real estate agent/Realtor should confirm that all utilities are turned on, including water, gas, and electric as well as all appliances such as the furnace, air conditioner, and water heater. For liability reasons, a home inspector cannot turn on these utilities. For example, I inspected a home recently in which the water was turned off at the meter. The real estate agent pushed me to turn it on, which I declined. He then turned on the valve at the meter, and water came gushing out of the washer hookup. There was a reason the water was off to the home, which is why your home inspector will not turn on utilities. When the utilities are not on, this makes for a less complete report for the home buyer as I cannot check many systems and appliances without the utilities being on.

3) Breakers: It's also helpful for home sellers to make sure all of the electrical breakers in the main panel are turned on. Again, if I come across a breaker that is turned off, I cannot turn it on for safety and liability issues. If any of them are flipped off, it's helpful for the home seller to leave a note explaining why.

4) Light bulbs: Have you ever tried hunting for an item in a dark, unfamiliar basement? I did recently when trying to complete an inspection in a basement with no lights. While I was prepared (as all home inspectors should be) with flashlights, it makes the job more difficult when there is insufficient lighting in a home.

Bottom line: When you're selling your home and you have a visit from a home inspector, you (understandably so) want them in and out with the least amount of disruption. That's my goal, too. Home sellers, real estate agents, and home inspectors can work together to make that happen.

If you or someone you know needs a home inspector, I encourage you to Google "Home Inspector Wichita" and compare reviews of Wichita-area home inspectors. You'll see we have more 5-star Google+ reviews than all Wichita-area home inspectors combined.

Comments

11/05/2015 5:43am

Thank you for sharing this post with us,

I plan to sell my sister's home. She decided to live in America. She wants to stay there for good. She's asking for my help. She wants me to sell her home. I have many requirements that need to comply. I am currently finding a home inspector to check her old house. I want everything to be fine for my new client. I plan to build a new garage for her old house. I would like to satisfy my client. I am so thankful viewing your post.

01/14/2017 6:57am

Blackcore Edge Max The only factor that allows us to do our regular activities without problem or worry Blackcore Edge Max It's far most effective. http://musclegainfast.com/blackcore-edge-max/

06/21/2017 6:52pm

Doing an inspection from house to house might be very difficult for the inspectors if the house they are visiting is actually not prepared. So having this list for home sellers is really important for them to prepare on-hand what are the things they should keep in mind before the actual inspection. This will also be a great help for the inspectors to easily inspect the house. Inspections are done for the sake of your future tenants so that they could live a very comfortable life. Thank you for sharing these helpful tips.

01/20/2016 8:08pm

06/15/2016 2:19am

Nice guide! Now I know how to prepare.

07/06/2016 2:46am

This blog is actually more interesting that i have thought of it before reading this awesome post.

07/11/2016 4:04am

For the construction of our home we have to put a lot of attention to these points. In this way we get the better result in the form of perfect home.

You offered me some help with thankfulness UK article making through your online diaries in a way I will never forget. In a split second I can no ifs as well as buts teach my made work and build making class with sureness. This is the one field that I was exceptionally questionable about. Appreciative to you.The vital of these affiliations is the recognition organization official leasing on your before with all people who are to be solidified into the internment organization. For instance, the religious figure, office remembrance administration home and the cemetery.

I am mostly shocked by the way you uncommon out avoiding on each and every little detail. It can be really going to help me a glorious offer. I supported the criticalness of keeping human/others discerning touch with the understudies and individuals in this season of front line guideline.

07/18/2016 6:50am

Superb article share with us as well as this blog site is excites even more people to reading that blog.

09/25/2016 8:00am

Nice tips to prepare the home for inspection. So we have to consider these tips when we are going to sell our home, while moving to a new home, don't forget about the old one because it has to sell out. Cleaning is the basic task for you.

Very useful and effective tips are given in this post. Thanks for all the tips, as am going to buy a new home and sell the old.So after reading this post am very satisfied and certainly, I will follow these nice tips.

10/24/2016 8:55am

I have to show some thanks to the writer for bailing me out of this particular challenge. As a result of researching through the internet and getting proposals which are not powerful, I figured my entire life was gone.

10/28/2016 2:14am

Awesome post! Really enjoyed this post. But I want more information on such valuable topic.

12/10/2016 8:19am

12/15/2016 12:48am

Now I know how to prepare for it. It's a pretty informative article.

Nice tips are given to make our home attractive, proper maintenance is required to make our nice and good looking especially when we want to sale out .

12/31/2016 7:15am

The tips you have share on this blog is so helpful related to sale home and I suggest to other also for visit this blog..

02/13/2017 6:51am

May you go with him when he does the review? (This is regularly prescribed, yet you should not ruin or occupy the investigator.

02/21/2017 9:16am

It may be higher in value contrasted with different materials yet it will serve your pool security exceptionally well.

03/16/2017 5:12am

By doing this you will have the capacity to utilize a home change index better as you will have a pragmatic spending plan to work with and will comprehend what precisely you might want to get from the home change list.

Lifetime Associates Pvt Ltd, a company incorporated in the year 2000 with an aim to promote product, in caring for their health of the public and for their utility.They gives us the most effective way to treat sewage water by adopting the technology of sewage water treatment and effluent treatment, which gives us a total remedy at an affordable cost.

06/01/2017 2:43am

From your blog, I can learn some new knowledge, I like the valuable information you provide in your articles.

06/15/2017 3:50am

When planning an aquarium, one of the key elements you will need is a large variety of aquarium plants. Aquarium plants are not only pleasing to look at but they also serve an essential function in your aquarium.